Sunday, July 31, 2005

Just what the doctor ordered

Aran Island was amazing!!! Everyone who's anyone should venture on out there when they're in Ireland. The people, the isolation, and the beauty was amazing! I finally got there around 7:30pm on Friday and checked into a nice little hostel right on the harbor. I then treated myself to a good dinner of shepard's pie (love those meat and potatoes) with a nice Irish Coffee (thank's Dr. Ben - I think the whiskey did the trick). I then walked around the little town while the sun was setting. The island is full of old ababdoned buildings covered in ivy and over grown with trees and cows, which made me feel like I was in a sleepy little oasis. I then walked up to a pub that was suppose to be a happening place where a Nice Irish boy named Danny called me over and bought me a pint. A night of fun pursued in which a lot of Guinness was consumed and I met Ryan (the Canadian), Owen (the Yank), Johnny and Brian (the Irish boys), and Yvonne, Caotirna, Jo, and the cute blonde girl with a pink hat whoes name i absolutely can't remember (the Irish girls). The night ended with cheeseburgers and curry chips (something they definately need to start providing in the States) at the chip hut.

The next morning I woke up really thirsty, so I drank lots of water and then Ryan and I rented bikes and rode around the island going to Dun Angus a fort built around 1100 BC on the edge of a cliff. We also went to some castle/lookout on the highest part of the island which actually was quite destered and looks like no one has been keeping it up all summer. Climbing up to the top of the tower provided stunning views of the island, Galway Bay, and the Atlantic Ocean. We then headed back to town, where Ryan was glad he could just coast all the way into town down the hill instead of peddle. We then needed a place to stay becasue we didn't book a room and being the Bank Holiday, the island was full, so we asked around and heard of this non-liscened B&B on the harbor that may have room. We asked...and sure enough..two beds left! Kinda pricey...but better than sleeping with the cows! Another night of fun insued, and I left the island this morning after a traditional Irish breakfast of bacon, sausage, and eggs - with a side of grease! Just got back into Dublin. I'm still a little congested, but my sore throat is gone. Off to Scotland tomorrow morning! Wish I could go into more detail about my trip, but time is short and internet expensive! Cheers!

1 Comments:

At 2:10 AM, August 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,
The Aran islands were brilliant! the cute little blond girl was called Maeve! It was great meeting you ,comeback next year, we're planning an encore!

love the Kilkenny girls, Jo,Yvonne, Caitriona , Eva and Maeve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home