Saturday, July 23, 2005

Rocks, Paper, Salisbury!

Ventured out to Stonehenge today, which I found awesome...it's a lot bigger than I expected...but then again it is one of the seven wonders of the world...or so they say. Then on ly disappointment was all the people! There was a steady ring of tourists around the whole site, not to mention the 20 or so people I saw lining the highway, who were too cheap to pay the £4 admission. I have to say I can't really blame them, as it is about $7 USD, which can buy you a pitcher of beer in some places...I must begin to prioritize!

I then walked around Salisbury and went to the Cathedral, which was amazing. I was struck with how huge it was, as well as all the tombs within them, as there are no 13th century cathedrals in the states, and especially no dead people in them. Chris' mum said she'd never thought of it that way before and everyone here takes England's history for granite, which I found interest becasue yesterday Chris was telling me how Britain's history is grilled into them at school year after year, yet a big part of thier history, the monarchy, is purely symbolic and doesn't have any real power today.

I also saw one of only four surviving copies of the Magna Carta. There were origionally 12, and I must say those Brits were thinking, compared to our Declaration. First off, they made 12 copies, we only have one...and no matter what you do...paper deteriorates! Secondly, the Magna Carta was written on some kind of leather or skin...I believe...which (I should know this) lasts longer then paper.

Don't know if that made sense becasue it's so late. Until next time...

4 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, July 23, 2005, Blogger KatieA said...

I have in fact been recieving your posts, but the truth is I haven't had the incentive to actually find the right answers to the questions. As for question number 3...I have no idea!

 
At 4:33 PM, July 23, 2005, Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

Cool beans trip your having! Make sure you have way too much fun. ;)

BTW, there was more than 1 copy of the Declaration. ;)

 
At 4:38 PM, July 23, 2005, Blogger KatieA said...

Thanks Resse...learn something new everyday. I think it's safe to say I'm now more educated about American history then most Americans with that little fact! (Which is quite sad if you think about it.) Cheers!

 
At 6:11 PM, July 28, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

Stonehenge may be awesome, but it ain't one of the 7 wonders of the world. The only surviving ancient wonder is the Pyramids of Egypt (others include the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, Lighthouse of Alexandria, Collosus, ect.). Who made this list anyway? Stonehenge certainly is old enough... maybe it isn't big enough? The Great Wall and Angkor Wat are definitely impressive enough- my guess is that they aren't old enough. BTW- how is that project going to move the road further from Stonehenge so people don't get a free peek? Did you see any activity?

ANYHOO... glad you are enjoying your trip. I liked Salisbury too- had some propper fish n' chips there... I know, I know- why didn't I have the steak? haha.. cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home