Friday, July 22, 2005

Buses = London at its worst

So yesterday I had a lovely time in Kensington exploring the museums. I than walked down the street and ran into a little department store called Harrod's. It's funny how the store just seemed to find me, becasue I wasn't looking for it I was just wondering down the street and saw this cool looking building that I thought I'd check out. I also realized that London goes crazy in July and every store in the city has a sale. This definately proves to be a problem for someone who loves to shop, yet is economically challanged, like myself. However, I quickly ran out of time, as I had to be back at the house becasue Chris and I were going out with a few of his mates.

This is where the fun began! I walk over to the tube station and it's closed - which seems to be a common occurance these days! When inquiring as to why, the officer was very nice as to tell me the whole story. Apparently, there were three packages in peoples backpacks that were suppose to detinate, fortunately, they all failed to go off. I wasn't scared in the least bit...I was actually happy to be handed an obscure bus map with only vauge idea of where I was and were I was heading...it was an adventure!

Well, getting on the bus proved to be the least of my worries, as the great thing about London is every time you turn around, there seems to be some form of public transportation ready to wisk you away to the destiation of your choice. However, I was unsure as to where to get off the bus becasue the only map I had was of Central London and as my luck would have it, Chris lives in South London. I end up going a bit too far, but luckly, I get off at a tube station that is actually functioning. I hop on the tube and make it to the train station, in which I almost didn't get on the train becasue everyone was crowded in the doorway, typical of how Brits tend to be very rude about stuff like that. However, this one friendly chap, said "Come on girl, you can make it!" and grab my arm, just in time to pull me on the train as the doors were closing. At this point I had been trying to get home for two hours, and I was very late for meeting up with Chris and his mates. I finally got back to realize that the tube had closed only minutes after I had gotten to Kensington that morning, therefore everyone and thier mother (literally becasue Chris' mum, my mom, and my mom's mom) were all worried.

After relaxing for a bit and calling my mom, I cleaned up and we (myself, Chris, and Ellen - Chris' friend from Uni) headed out to a swanky cocktail bar on King's Road - where else, but back in Kensington. On the way, Chris kindly informed me that London doesn't have a good map of the bus system, becasue no one ever rides the bus and that taking the bus during rush hour (as I had done) was London at its worst. I then kindly informed him that it wasn't all that bad compared to the 405 any day of the week.

After getting back home rather early, as all bars in England close at 11pm, I crashed and woke up at the bloody early time of 6.30 this morning as Chris was heading off to work. My agenda for today includes a train ride out to Salisbury to see the mega tourist trap of stonehenge.

Here's to hoping London gets a better map of thier buses! Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home