Thursday, July 21, 2005

Day number one...

I met up with Chris yesterday and he actually told me that King's Cross isn't the nicest part of town, and that his mum found it better if I stay with them instead, so I'm now crashing for the next few days at his place in Wandsworth. His parents have been so gracious and made dinner last night after I returned home from a long trek along the South Bank from the London Eye to the Tower Bridge.

As there was a horendous queue at the Eye, and Chris had to be off to work in an hour, we walked down to the Globe, only to realize the theatre closes in the afternoon. By this time, Chris had to be off to work, so we parted ways and I decided to explore the Tate Modern. Not being one for a lot of modern art, I actually found it quite enjoyable. One piece I found interesting was a number of artifacts that had been collected during a dig prior to the musem being built in 1999. The artifacts were all laid out in drawers and cabniets of a bereau, but they weren't in any order and weren't labeled. There was also this locker that included two buckets of seemingly unimportant rubble from the dig. What stricked me was that this "rubble" was pieces of porceline and china, that looked to me to have more archaeological significance than the plastic Coke bottle caps that were on display in the bureau. Also, since everything was out of context and not labled, thier potential historic value ment nothing. It was interesting to see an archaeological display depicted as art; however, I felt it was at the cost of the integrity of archaeological purpose.

Moving on...I walked along the river down to the Tower Bridge and the "egg" shaped ecological building next to it. Amazing Race style, I decided this would be my ending point of that day's leg, and I hopped on the tube and headed back to Chris' house. The tube was crazy, as it was the evening rush hour and I just got sweapt into the stream of people filing throughout the station. Thanks godness Chris warned me of the crazyness of Waterloo stations 19 platforms, or else I wouldn't have had a chance of finding my train.

Once I got back to the house, I ate dinner and went to bed early. I didn't even realize how exhausted I was until I woke up this morning and realized I felt like a completely different person. Todays plans involve Westminster and maybe the Eye again this afternoon if the clouds clear up.

Cheers!

4 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, July 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kate, I am not sure my comments were posted to you. If you can, write to let me know whether you got them. Love, Papa

 
At 11:34 PM, July 21, 2005, Blogger KatieA said...

Hey Papa - I've gotten this post, but I don't believe I've gotten any others. I posted the link to the help instructions, if you have not already looked at them. Love you!

 
At 7:07 AM, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Katie,
My first post basically said how happy I am that you are there and safe and having a great time. Its hard to believe that my little Kate who just "yesterday" was coloring placemats at Lyons is a world traveler and a senior at UCAL!! I got your 7/22 post and
was relieved to know that you were not anywhere near the incidents of
the day. Love, Papa

 
At 5:58 PM, July 28, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

Well, I happen to like Modern Art, and I have to say that the Tate is one of my favorite museums. Even just the giant industrial building it is housed in is awesome. Was the giant neon sun still up in the main hall or have they replaced it with something new?

As for that "Archeology as Art" display, I am quite fond of it. I know that you may think that it removes historical significance from the pieces, but the way it is laid out (in cabinet format) is intriguing. Visitors are encouraged to snoop around the different drawers and discover the bits and pieces for themselves, effectively turning the visitors into amateur archeologists. I love participation art like this and I think that this particular piece makes all those old "artifacts" quite a bit more interesting and engaging.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home