Sunday, July 24, 2005

Tourist for a day!

It's not like I haven't been a tourist while I've been here, but today was the first time I actually felt like one!

I headed to north London to Camden Market, which was lots of fun! Once I got there, there were plenty of people at the first market, but I followed the advice of my handy dandy Let's Go London book and walked three blocks up the street to a much less crowded and better bargin market with the exact same stuff! I did a little shopping and got some good lamb curry for lunch...mmm...and then I wandered the streets and other markets for a bit taking in the eclectic atmosphere. I couldn't compare it to any other place I've been...however...there were hoards of tourists everywhere, which kinda took away from it a bit.

I then hoped on the tube and preceeded to go to the British Museum, which I got lost finding becasue I got turned around. With London not being on a grid system, I constantly start out on a road thinking I'm heading in the right direction, but I then find myself at some massive intersection not having a clue. Once I got my bearings and found a sign point to - what else - "The British Museum" I was realize I had just walked in a huge circle around the tube station I got off at. At least I got to do a little window shopping...just imagine...a whole rack of pink shoes...50% off!!! However, being practical...I don't have a clue where or when I'd wear pink shoes...so I didn't take the store up on thier offer.

The Bristish Musuem is the coolest museum in the world! Not only is the building gorgeous, with the Great Court in the middle leading to all the galleries, but thier collection is off the hook! Saw the rosetta stone through a hoard of Japanese tourists, that was very sterotypical. I was actually impressed because I thought it was a lot smaller then it was. I guess that was becasue I had only ever seen textbook pictures and the lovely Rosetta Stone jigsaw puzzle Ben had on his coffee table. You can have your own to for only £9.99 at the gift shop! :) I also saw the bog man that was killed and thrown in a bog thousands of years ago. The anerobic conditions left him very well preserved!!! (My Berkeley education had taught me something!) The mummies I actually found erie...it was wierd to think there was a person under there. It was the same feeling you get when walking through a graveyard, except this was exceptionally odd becasue you're in a museum gallery where these things are displayed for people to look at almost as a form of entertainment.

After staying at the museum until almost closing, and not getting to see nearly enough of it...I headed back to the tube station as it started to rain. Luckily, I didn't get lost this time, but of course, the rain stopped as soon as I got into the station.

I made my way home and once I got there, I chatted with Chris' mum and dad as we watched the news. It's absolutly awful all the things going on over here. I'm really not sure what you all are hearing there over in the states, but there was a 20 minute report on the news of the on going investigation here in London yesterday, only to be highlighted today by the fact the police killed the wrong man and 88 more people are dead in Eygpt, including some British tourists. The Brits like thier news, but it's horrible to be reminded of what's going on. Everytime a train I've been on has stopped in the tube between stations, I get an eerie feeling like somethings about to go wrong. Just the other day I saw a picture of them removing the train from the tracks at King's Cross. It was being hoisted up by a crain and it was all tighly wrapped in plastic, making me think of a person wrapped up in a burial shroud, so you couldn't actually see the car. Everyone is putting on a good face of "We are not afraid" and "London United" but the truth is every one is scared to death - just look at the man who was running and got shot, he very well could have been running becasue he was afraid a bomb was about to go off next to him and he wanted to live. (Disclaimer - that's not actually what I believe after seeing the news report here, but someone could very easily make that case.) With this, I think it has crossed everyone's mind that they could be next.

Anyways...it's on my mind so I thought I'd shine some light on the subject. Being here during these developments has made me put a whole new perspective on terroism. Dinner tonight consisted of good old fish and chips at a little joint down the street served up with genuine lack of British hospitality. (With the exception of Chris' parents of course!) No wonder they include tip in the check, or else they'd never get paid!

It's suppose to rain all day tommorrow so I believe Chris and I will be hitting up the Tower of London! Later!

PS - Go Lance! Vive le Tour!

2 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, July 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie,
sorry about the blank comment not that smart. I,m so happy for you your adventures sound awsome. Mom told mr about your plans for Dublin and scotland go for it baby! I,m glad you did't buy any pink shoes. waiting to hear more of the story. lots of love mom.

 
At 6:21 PM, July 28, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

Glad you made it to the British Museum- great place and I can see how you'd spend a whole day there.

The mummy exhibit pisses me off. Having been to Egypt, I really don't like how the Brits pillaged the place. Besides the giant monuments, there is very little good stuff left in Egypt. And as far as mummies- I think putting them on display is wrong. I know they are old, but I think we should let them rest in peace (or at least store them away and only use them for science) instead of turning them into a spectacle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home