Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Too little time...

I've begun to realize that there is way too little time between now and when I leave. I have my passport and my handy dandy Let's Go London book, so now I just have to manage to put some clothes in a suitcase and get my butt on the plane. I think I can handle that - oh yeah - not to mention my trip to SoCal and my triathlon I'm squeezing into my schedule before then. I don't think I even mentioned that my insistence on going to London this week (July 19-27) is justified. My friend Chris is actually leaving for Tanzania on July 27th for a month! Therefore I'd rather be crunched for planning time and get to see more of Chris then not see him at all.

I checked on getting to my hostel from the airport and the train I take to King's Cross station is still running. Turns out the train I take isn't part of the underground system, it's a different one...who knew London had so many trains!?

Now I'm going to grab a bowl of ice cream (yey for being at the grandparents house, where the ice cream is as plentiful as the salt in the sea and double yey for having a race on Saturday as an excuse to carbo load!) and get cozy with my London book! :) Since my time in London is so short...I appreciate suggestions on what the best ways to spend that time on!

Ta ta for now! ;)

1 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, July 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gatwick is quite a ways outside London, it isn't part of London (remember, London has 4 airports, Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted)...you'll be taking a regular train into the center of the City where you'll transfer onto the Underground (which is essentially like taking Amtrak and then transfering onto BART).

The London Underground is very easy to negotiate, the lines are colored and the direction is EAST/WEST, NORTH/SOUTH depending on where you are. Also remember that an Underground Day pass (or week pass) will let you ride on the buses - just show your pass to the conductor).

Also remember when it comes to London central that you can pretty much walk wherever you want to go - which I would recommend for the first time London visitor. Get yourself an A-Z of London and walk. It will be trickier than navigating around US cities as London was not built on a grid system, but you should do it anyway because you will see more of the City.

Also, as far as cheap beer in London goes, there is a national chain of pubs called 'J D Weatherspoon's' (they usually have that name plus a pub name) where the beers are much much cheaper than regular London beer prices. Also remember that you DON'T HAVE TO TIP! Just pay for your beer!

I would recommend you check out the theatre districk, Covent Garden, the Portabello Road (which has a massive market - go to the Notting Hill underground stop) and don't waste your money on the Tower of London as it's really expensive - you'd be better off spending that money on a trip to Hampton Court Palace.
Also, you will see Guardsmen in their finery on their horses on Guard. DO NOT TOUCH THE HORSE! Lots of tourists do and the Guardsmen do not appreciate it.

Also if you want to see things like the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, get there a half an hour early because the crowds get quite thick with tourists.

If you want to see the British Parliament in session you absolutely can, just go to Parliament, ask a policeman which line to get in, make sure you take some ID and you should at least be able to see a Commons debate.

The major department stores such as Harrods and Harvey Nichols are at the Knightsbridge stop. Harrods is rather over rated, far more British is Fortnum and Mason on the Strand. Go to Bond Street to see all the designer stores.

I'm sure your folks are concerned about you, just let them know that the London Police are extremely nice and very helpful when it comes to answering questions. Also know that unlike the US where you have to worry about insurance cards and healthcare, if you need anything of a health related nature just go to any Casualty or A+E department (they are not called ER's in the UK) and they will help you out, even if you just need a band aid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home